Give a proof linked to this picture of the formula $a^2 – b^2 = (a + b)(a – b)$ .
2. What do you notice about the difference between squares of consecutive numbers?
Compare the differences between squares of numbers that differ by 1 […]
Start by watching the video https://youtu.be/B2dkNPaTmDY
The class will make poster of a stage […]
2. What is the area enclosed by the stage 2 squareflake? What about the stages 3 and 4 squareflakes?
3. If replacing each line segment on the edge with the zig-zag is […]
Take a large piece of backing paper, and either draw an equilateral triangle with edges of length 27 cm or cut a triangle from coloured paper and stick it on […]
Shade the hexagons where the number inside is odd all in one colour. Using a contrasting colour, […]
What patterns do you notice in this table?
Continue the patterns to fill the empty squares.
Write a list describing all the patterns that you see.
What do you notice about the numbers on squares of the same colour?
Would the patterns […]
Can you find the chosen number from this square using the clues below?
1. The number is odd.
2. It is a multiple of three.
3. It is smaller than 7 x 4.
4. It has an even tens digit.
5. It is the greater of the two possibilities.
Click here to download a PDF with all you need to run your own professional development workshop.
Explore the pattern you get when you carry on these multiplications up to 37 × 54.
Inspired by Jain www.jainmathemagics.com
What patterns do you see in them?
Suppose you have to share 9872 gold coins between 8 people.
You give the coins out in thousands until there are less than 8000 left.
Then you give out one hundred at a time until there are less than 800, then […]