To go to another number you can either MULTIPLY BY 2 or SUBTRACT 5.
So if you start on 12, you can either shade 12 x 2 = 24 or 12 – 5 = 7
Choose any shaded number and carry on until you can’t get to any numbers except numbers already shaded.
Record your results.
- Choose another number to start. Which numbers can you visit?
- Can you find a starting number that takes you to all the numbers in the grid?
- What happens if you use a grid for 1 to 100? You can download a grid here.
- Describe at least one pattern that you notice.
- This puzzle starts with a 5×5 square of numbers and you can either x2 or -5. Invent a new puzzle by slightly changing something in the rules of this puzzle. Tell us about your puzzle.
Thank you to NRICH for this problem