Home Forums Teacher’s Discussion Forum Rotation symmetry

This topic contains 1 reply, has 7 voices, and was last updated by toni toni 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Notemba Conjwa
    Participant

How can I teach rotation symmetry to my grade 4 learners?

toni
    toni
    Keymaster

Look for objects with rotational symmetry, like flowers for example, and try to find examples with different symmetries. Take them into class and, as you turn them,  explain rotational symmetry and order of rotational symmetry. Let the learners pass them around and see for themselves.

Talk about the letter S and N that have rotational symmetry of order 2 and no line symmetry. Work out the symmetries of the other capital letters.

Look for symmetry in art like the baskets in the attachment. One has rotational symmetry of order 4, two have rotational symmetry of order 6 and the other one looks as if it might have rotational symmetry but it does not. If you can print this picture it makes a good basis for discussion.

Buk Pindani
    Participant

I didn’t find clearly the difference between lines of symmetry,
    rotational symmetry ,point of rotation. Please can’t you explain it clearly to me?

Anonymous

Please find a document attached which explains the differences.

Phindy Simani
    Participant

I can see the centre of rotation when the point is in the shape. How do I see the centre of rotation when it is outside the shape ?

toni
    toni
    Keymaster

CENTRE OF ROTATION

In a rotation points move along the arcs of circles. The centre of rotation lies on the perpendicular bisector of the chord joining a point to its image.

See the attached diagram showing how to find a centre of rotation.

Fezzy Gxothiwe
    Participant

I too am not confident about the topic and that frustrates me.I am looking foward to the winter residentials so that I can get clarity.

Anonymous

Hi
    At the top of this page you will find RESOURCES. From the pull down menu choose ONLINE RESOURCES FOLDER. There is a wealth of information there. In the folder called WORKBOOKS FROM IMSTUS- try the SYMMETRY and TRANSFORMATIONS workbook . You’ll find lots of useful ideas without having to wait for the winter residentials.
    Good Luck Christine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.