Lesson Activities Forums Teacher’s Discussion Forum INTERPRETATION OF CUBIC GRAPHS

This topic contains 1 reply, has 7 voices, and was last updated by toni toni 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    toni
    toni
    Keymaster

Learners must sketch cubic graphs in Grade 10 term 2. The simplest cubic function is f(x) = x^3 which is always increasing and flat at the origin.

This is the graph of the cubic function f(x)= x^3 and the graph of the cubic function

g(x)= x^3 – 3x^2 – 10x + 24

which can also be written as

g(x) = (x + 3)(x – 2)(x – 4)

This graph cuts the x axis at x = -3, x = 2 and x = 4.

To find the turning points of a graph you find the values of x where the derivative is zero. As the derivative of a cubic polynomial is a quadratic polynomial, putting this equal to zero gives two solutions so a cubic graph has one maximum and one minimum point and can cut the x axis at one point or at 3 points.

Remember that graphs of polynomials, trig and exponential functions are smooth curves.

Is there any specific question you want to ask about cubic polynomials?

When it comes to interpretation, you must know that roots must three or less but in all essence they must be three. The derivative of a cubic function is a quadratic function as well as derivative of a quadratic is a linear function.

MacDonald Chapwanya
    Participant

Thank you Toni, that was helpful

thankyou

Your information was of great importance and very helpful.

Thankyou Toni

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

One Response to INTERPRETATION OF CUBIC GRAPHS

1. Avatar Dumisani Xoko says:

I so wish to know probability I have been teaching grade 12 for most of teaching experience. I need help for especially with independent and dependent invents

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.