Home Forums Teacher’s Discussion Forum Ideas for teaching large classes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 9 voices, and was last updated by toni toni 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alice Sibi
    Participant

Everything is running smoothly in my classroom since I started using activities from AIMSSEC and I think this will improve my learners’ results. The only problem is that we are having overcrowded classrooms. This year I am having 101 Grade 9 learners but I promise to work hard in order they will do well.

toni
    toni
    Keymaster

Hi Alice, You say ‘overcrowded’. How many learners do you have in one classroom? Do you teach all 101 learners at the same time or do some of them have maths lessons at a different time?

I know many teachers teach very big classes. It would be good to share ideas here about activities that you can organise for a big class.

toni
    toni
    Keymaster

PEOPLE GRAPHS
    Activities that work even better for large classes than for small classes include People Graphs (and other People Maths).

You will need to get your axes ready in advance. You could use pieces of string with knots at evenly spaced intervals to mark out the coordinate axes, or mark out the axes with chalk if you are on a suitable surface. Give each learner the coordinates of a point written on a small piece of paper. Give every learner a different point. Take the learners outside.

Have the axes laid out. Explain to the learners what these axes are. First ask the learners who have a zero as one of their coordinates to go and stand on the string at their point. Then ask the learners who have a 1 as one of their coordinates to go and stand on their spots. It may take a few minutes for them to sort out the right places. For example you might get (1;5) and (5;1) claiming the same spot. Let them sort it out between them with the help of the other learners.

Then tell the 2’s not already in place to go and stand on their spots, then 3’s and so on until everyone is in their places.

As described this is for the first quadrant but later you can do similar activities for 4 quadrants.

For one activity you can call out “Put your arm up if your x coordinate is 3”.

Ask them what they see. (A line)

“Put your arm up if your x and y coordinates add up to 10.”
    Ask them what they see. (Another line)
    or

“Put your arm up if your y coordinate equals 3 times your x coordinate.” (Another line)
    etc.

As a class you can explore different properties of lines (gradients and intercepts) this way.

On another occasion you could work on “Put your arm up if your y coordinate is the square of your x coordinate?” (Not a line.)

There is a lot of scope here for work on graphs. Take time for the learners to look around and see whose hands are up and talk about what they see.

For the last half of the lesson take the learners into the classroom and give them work to do to draw the graphs on paper.

One other challenge that we face in our schools is infrastructure. Think of a situation where we teach in mud-classes (rondavells) and you have not got space to move around let alone grouping the learners. Overcrowding demotivates a lot of teachers especially in the rural areas, but I think Alice your grade 9 class might be split into three which could be a bit manageable.

Sgqie Nohako

Sisi don’t stress yourself, this year I have 115 learners. Most learners don’t want to cooperate to their educator. The only thing I can say to you, give them love in order to win them, after that you can give them the words of wisdom about their life.

Alice I want to comment more on your problem. Sometimes the number of learners is 35 but you will find that the classroom is too small to accommodate the learners. In my school, it is a mud school. We experience overcrowding in such a way that you can not move around to see how the learners are participating in their groups because there is no space to go to them.

Lulu Langa

Group your learners into fives and sixes, teach them, test them. Invite the subject adviser or a colleague to teach for you the same topic. Do not ignore to use the computers, try to make them familiar with using this moving technology i.e. their cellphones must be involved. I know that some of the subject advisers are very lazy, maths teachers who are nearer to you can also help. Maybe they can suggest different approaches than the ones that you are using.

toni
    toni
    Keymaster

Lot’s of sharing of experiences here! Thank you everyone who has contributed. Sometimes you won’t get help on the spot from other teachers or subject advisers. Having this AH Network means that you can always share ideas with other teachers and get help and advice.

Elgee Ntiise
    Participant

I think the other way you can do for your teaching and learning to be effective is to divide your class into 3 class groups ,and try to organise extra classes for you to enjoy your teaching and hope you will do well at the end of the year with your learners . GOOD LUCK

Zim Wopa
    Participant

I make groups of mixed learners with various performance levels. Top achievers are made group leaders. It assists me a lot in I reach every learner to give them feedback. The top achievers also monitor the peer-assessment when they mark their books themselves. That also encourage other learners because everyone wants to be a group leader. I also change group leaders at certain intervals and even when another learner has a better understanding of the section compared to the previous one.

Patricia Kotyi
    Participant

I teach a large class of 87 learners.I cannot mark their classworks because I run out of time.I tell them to exchange their books so that they mark each other.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.